Vince Flower joined the Young Devon team in November 2020, as the new Chair of Trustees. Passionate about Devon, the county in which he grew up and studied, and helping local young people thrive; Vince is determined to make a positive difference, wherever he can.
Vince was born and raised in Torquay, Devon. After leaving school, Vince has completed a Diploma in Business Studies at South Devon College, a Higher National Certificate in Business Studies at Exeter College and a Diploma in Management Studies course at Plymouth Polytechnic.
Vince has forty years experience working in the holiday leisure sector. His first job was at Beeson’s Holiday Centre; when the Ladbroke Group acquired Beeson’s in 1981, it opened up a number of career opportunities for Vince. He spent the next eight years managing various holiday villages and catering concessions, including those located at Kew Gardens and the Tower of London. In 1990, he joined the Specialist Leisure Group.
During his career, Vince worked his way up through the ranks to become the Managing Director of Shearings Hotels, of the Specialist Leisure Group. As Managing Director of Shearings Hotels, he provided oversight of operations for 50 hotels located all around the UK, which had a turnover of circa £68M and employing over 1,600 staff. Vince retired from this role in October 2018.
Vince has been involved with an impressive number of Devon-based organisations, partnerships and Boards:
- Vince spent ten years on the Board of Governors at South Devon College, where he was the Chair up until July 2010.
- He has been the acting Chair of the Board of Governors at Torquay Academy for over 10 years, since January 2010.
- Vince has been a Trustee of the TBGS Multi-Academy Trust since 2013.
- He is currently the Chair of the Torquay Economic Development Company Ltd; a not-for-profit company, owned by Torbay Council.
- During 2020, Vince became a Non-Executive Director of TorVista Homes Ltd, a new social housing company set up by Torbay Council, to provide good quality affordable homes for the people in Torbay to rent.
- Also in 2020, Vince was appointed Chair of the Torquay Town Deal Board, which has recently successfully secured £22 million towards the regeneration of Torquay Town Centre.
- Vince joined the Board of the Heart of the South West Local Enterprise Partnership in December 2020.
Tel: 01752 691511